With the invention of the electric telegraph by Samuel Morse in 1837 and the development of the telephone by Graham Bell in the United States in 1876, it became urgent for France to train engineers in these new fields and techniques. As a result, the forerunner of ENST - École Supérieure de Télégraphie - was created by Louis Adolphe Cochery in 1878. The following year, Louis Adolphe Cochery became Prime Minister of Post and Telegraphs.
Ten years after its creation, the institute underwent the first of many transformations, and became the "École Professionnelle des Postes et Télégraphes".
In 1934, the Institute was separated from its research arm. It left the premises of the Ministry for the Rue Barrault in the 13th Paris district.
In 1943, it received the title of École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications (ENST). Since then, the astounding progress and development in the field of Telecommunications and the arrival of television have contributed to its growing importance.
ENST has continued to grow with the spectacular advances in the field of Telecommunications. It now houses over a thousand students, and over 140 research professor staff. ENST, renamed Telecom Paris then Telecom ParisTech since 2008, has also expanded to Sophia-Antipolis. We receive students from all over the world, and constitute a centre of excellence for teaching and research in the fields Information and Communication Sciences.